Thursday, November 10, 2011

One season at a time, people!

So, if you know me, it is no secret that I am a nazi firm believer that Christmas decorations should not be put up until AFTER Thanksgiving! Last night I drove by Chick-fil-A, and I was so disappointed to see the whole place lit up like it's December 25th! While it was pretty and all, I wanted to wring someone's neck while screaming, "Thanksgiving is still two weeks away! Get a grip, people!!" I love the lights and festivities as much as the next person, but I also love celebrating each holiday as it comes. I'm a huge fan of pilgrims, Squanto, pumpkins, etc. And I love the focus on giving thanks, instead of already stressing about giving gifts. My family has a tradition of eating our Thanksgiving dinner with a wooden Squanto on the table as the centerpiece, and before we can sit down to eat, we all have to say, "Squanto, friend of pilgrim," while placing our hands over our hearts. haha. I know this is a bit extreme on the normal vs. bizarre-o scale, but at least we have a tradition, right?! I really like taking a moment to remember why we are thankful to be in this country. We dog it so much because we have so much political anxiety these days, but we still have so many freedoms that we take for granted. So, take some time today to be thankful for a nation where you can speak against your government and not get arrested, or hug someone of a different religion, or practice your own religion, or live in your nice home, etc, etc. For crying out loud, we are one of the only nations who has bountiful supplies of clean water! That's amazing! Anywho... Hug your kids and place your hand over your heart, and let's all say it together... "Squanto, friend of pilgrim"



               This isn't "the" Squanto, but it's similar. 
                 Just thought I'd put you in the spirit ;)
My husband: in the "Thanksgiving spirit" with a Turkey Hat on


Fun Holiday Recipe
Pumpkin Dip!
                              from my wonderful sister-in-law, Meridith.

3/4 cup (6 oz) cream cheese - I just usually throw in the whole block and I use the low fat kind (helps if at room temp); 1/2 cup pure pumpkin, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix all together and serve with apples, pears and/or graham crackers. Enjoy!

No comments: